Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Well what now???

I am entering the "off season" of Triathlons.  I'm not scheduled for anymore outdoor ones and the indoor season isn't until November.  So now I'm training for a 1/2 marathon.  I'll be honest, this is not the funnest thing I've ever done.  I really, truly think I'm doing it for the car sticker and bragging rights (I live in WV...one of the laziest states in the US, so YES, 13.1 miles gets you bragging rights).  I really want to spend some more time on my bike, but I never go alone and there isn't a plethora of opportunity to do that around here, plus the days are rapidly shrinking.  I can assure you that I have vacated the open water for the season too! Bleh, hate it!  So now my question is, "how do I stay in shape"?  I don't want to burn myself out yet I don't want to lose my edge either.  Any and all suggestions welcome!

Right now I'm teaching spin classes for 45 minutes on M,W, F.  I am trying to get in 15-20miles/ week  running and I'm swimming about 1 day a week (yes, I plan to increase that number after the 1/2 marathon).  Brick workouts aren't something I like to do, but I don't know if I should save those for the season or continue them throughout the year and if so, how often?  I'd like to work on my strength training which I'm trying to do about 2 days a week, but sheesh, I've got a life too!  So maybe I'll get all this figured out.  Again, any and all suggestions welcome!

2 comments:

  1. I agree running is boooooorrrrrrriiiinnnngggggg!!!!

    - goto your local LBS and find out if there are group rides, then goto them, get to know other cyclist, its a blast

    as for the offseason, most people usually pick one of the following

    - increase their base, if you want to bump your distance, start working on going longer in the off season (ask Santa for a trainer for your bike if you do not have one, I know your a spin instructor, but you also know that spin bike does not feel like your roadie, AND on the plus side for you, you already have a ton of workouts in your head from spinning, just do them on the trainer)

    - Speed and Power, this is what I more then likely will be doing, work on getting more powerful and faster at the 3 sports

    - lastly, work on your weakest leg, for example, if it is the swim, get your stroke analyzed, take a lesson or two from a coach (thats all you need), join a masters club, or just swim a ton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU! That actually makes a lot of since! I'm going to work on the trainer thing for sure! Yeah, spinning is great for muscle building, but not so much the same thing that a road bike does for you!

    ReplyDelete