Search This Blog

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Food for thought

Wow! I just read this really bizarre article in "Cooking Light" magazine.  It was just a graph really, not a full article, but it went through a time line of the day on Thanksgiving where the person preparing the meal was "sampling" as she went and by the time dinner was served she'd "sampled" over 700 calories!!!!   That was NOT including any meals eaten. It was just a lick of the frosting here, a bite of the bacon there, a bit handful of marshmallows, etc.  But what was so insane was that the little nibbles she took were no more than what I do when I'm cooking! It just made me think about that lick of the knife when making my daughters PB&J! Hmmm....

So anyway, I was really sore from getting back into running and since I have loads of Christmas orders for Milkshake Baby I decided to take Wednesday off (that and Sam was getting out of school early).  Today I furthered my leg rest and worked on my swim.  I did 25 laps in a 25meter pool where 1 lap is 50meters.  I did not just swim, I SWAM!  I was working my lats today, yup, that was how I got my strength training in. 

I've got my first indoor triathlon coming in November, but I haven't really been training, so we'll see.  I mean, I've just been working out, but not doing interval training, brick training, yada yada yada.  I'm wondering if I'll even place...LOL!!!! I'm wondering if I'll care when I don't! Ah! Scary thought!

As far as eating, well, I was doing REALLY well today, not even craving sweets, until I went to Sam's Club and walked through their stupid sampling aisles..ugh!  Yup, I bought the cookies I tasted AND ate one on the way home!!! I'm all messed up. I working on it, actively!

Here's a great dessert recipe if you're trying to get off sweets, but are dying, much like I am.

1 large or 2 small Granny Smith Apples, cut, peeled, cored, and cubed
1 Tablespoon Craisins (or raisins)
Generously sprinkle of cinnamon
Less than 1 Tablespoon of raw sugar (yes, it's not much better than white, but it makes me feel better)
1/3 cup lowfat frozen yogurt
1 Tablespoon granola (I HIGHLY recommend Cascadian Farm)

In a small microwave safe bowl, combine apple, craisins, cinnamon, and sugar.  Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on your "vegetable" setting (about 1-2 minutes if you don't have one).
Spoon the hot, yumminess into a mug (this will make you feel much better about the smaller serving size), and top it with the frozen yogurt and the granola. 

It's not perfect, it's not apple crisp, but it sure does help my craving.  Plus your getting your all-too-important fiber, some bone strengthening calcium, and a little less guilt! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Nice job swimming

    I hate holidays eating, just for the exact reason you mentioned.

    I am gonna try your recipe this weekend

    ReplyDelete