Search This Blog

Friday, July 2, 2010

Gold Rush Sprint Tri recap

On June 26th, 2010 I did my first outdoor triathlon at the Gold Rush Triathlon in Charlotte, NC.  I have done indoor triathlons through our YMCA, but this was much more challenging.

It was a GREAT beginner tri b/c there was only a 500meter swim IN a pool!  Don't get me wrong, it was still VERY challenging, but at least I am learning to be competitive without getting kicked in the face while in a lake....that'll come later.



The bike was fantastic except for the speed bumps at the bottom of almost every hill.  Those who road bikers will understand my pain there.   You have to slow down and that severely hinders your way back up via momentum.  But I did it anyway!  It was MUCH less hilly than where I train and that was wildly helpful!



The run was the beast.  I ran out of the transition area and UP HILL for what felt like 5 miles.  It was only about 1/2 mile but my little legs were feeling the pain at that point.  The transition into the run from the bike definitely separates the weak from the strong.  At one point I'd been consistently behind this guy and there were these two younger girls (about 8 years old) sitting on there driveway watching us race by and I sped up when we passed them just to show them that a girl can do what a boy does only better!  LOL!




All in all I believe my first race was a success.  While I didn't place my standing was 18th female overall out of 55! Not bad for a novice!  I was 6th in my age division (out of 13, but who's counting).  My total time was 1:26.  While every course is different I believe I can at least use this time as a guideline for how to train!
For instance, my biggest weakness is my transition time.  I did my first transistion in almost 2 minutes, the fastest transistion time was 10seconds!!!!  Seriously!  Things like socks and sips of gatorade will have to go, my gloves my have to as well (grrrr).  I need to start throwing my visor on WHILE I'm running and leaving my shoes tied was the right choice.  I also need to get my rear moving when I grab my bike, but after the swim I was actually shaking which made it super duper difficult!

Here is my time breakdown:
Swim (500m) 12:56
T1: 1:56
Bike (20K) 42:22
T2: 1:14
Run (5K) 27:50
Overall: 1:26:16

No comments:

Post a Comment