Search This Blog

Sunday, September 26, 2010

And...I'm out

It's been a cruddy week. I've made the hard, irritating decision to drop the half marathon.  My knee is not happy and where it was taking 3 miles to feel it, it's now only taking 1.  I have no swelling, redness, etc, but I'm not feeling good at all about it.  My coach tells me that there are other half marathons and to NOT tear myself up over this one.   Depending on when you ask me, I might be okay with it, but last night I dreamed that my husband was doing a triathlon and I couldn't even complete a 5K...I was devastated....of course that same 5K course in my dream included a repelling section...

The race is next week and while he is doing the half marathon, I'm going to do the 5K.  I won't place which is a bummer b/c I'm not fast enough, but I guess it's something to do.  I'm not running all week b/c it's the one thing I'm perfectly trained for and don't need to to more.  I will do other things- swim, bike, elliptical- but not run.

This week I did this:
Monday- walked steep hills for 2 miles then did some TRX (google this it's pretty cool)
Tuesday- did an awesome bike ride with some friends..I should actually blog about this by itself.
Wednesday- took my first day off in a week.
Thursday- went to run 3 miles outside, got 1.5 into it and was so dizzy I thought I was going to pass out, so I walked home (1.5 miles).
Friday- got new shoes (4 pair), got on the treadmill and ran a mile in each one to choose the perfect shoes (more about this later).  Then did some TRX (seriously, google this!)
Saturday -So sick I couldn't even walk around.
Sunday - still sick, really icky stuff. Probably explains the weird dizzy spell I had on Thursday.

This week will be another low profile week.  It's weird to have trained and trained for a race only to drop it.  This is a new experience for me.  It's making me feel like a quitter, I hope I'm not, I'm 32 years old and not interested in filing some of my best upcoming racing years under "had to have knee surgery".  I'm going to be smart about this and hopefully that will suppress the overwhelming sense of failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment