Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Slave to the Intervals

Wow! I've been AWOL again!  I don't mean to be, sorry.

I've noticed that my way of coping with the mind numbing indoor training sessions has been by doing interval training after interval after interval, after interval...you get the point.  So I decided to do a "long swim" in the pool (1/2 mile--don't judge), while I was pitiful and forgot to time myself I found the effects of the actual workout were the worst of the whole experience, I could barely hang!  You see, I will do drills, sprints, and race pace, etc, but for no more than 200m in a row and I'll do it for up to over a mile, well when you're going a total of  850m non-stop (give or take) it's a big, darn difference!  I don't know why I tend to forget this, but apparently I do...so I'm going to spend some more time doing distance and less on drills for a bit, just to get my swerve back.

Okay the bike...well when you're doing Spinverals DVD's you're doing ONLY intervals, however, this is not so bad b/c where I tend to ride is all hills anyhow, I really think I could have a serious handicap if I were to do a time trial with serious bikers, but, so far I'm hanging with my crowd okay.  I am setting my sites on an International distance later in the year so I shouldn't ignore this weakness too much longer, I really don't do more than 15 miles at a time (hard-core cyclists insert judgment here).  I am smoking the bike portion right now, however, so my confidence there is up.

Now the run...is it bad that I'm toast after just 4 miles???  Don't answer that.  I'm not really training the run, first off I have bad feet, but second...I HATE THE TREADMILL!!!!!  And btw....our indoor track is 20 LAPS PER MILE!!! So yes, there may be some interval training there too.  I can't seem to hold a steady pace, I think that is less about the training and more about the ADD!

So there you have it, my fight with intervals.  I love them, but are they serving me?  How much time SHOULD I be putting into distance training...I think I know where my next research focus should be :)  Maybe I'll learn something new! 

Hope your winters are going well! 

2 comments:

  1. Your training is actually a cut above the norm and will pay dividends later in the year, Hear me out, most atheltes spend the off season doing long, slow, distances, which all that does is make you slow at long distances, also most atheltes are afraid of intervals, the pain cave, its human nature to stop or slow down when the body hurts, now is the hurt real pain or discomfort from going fast. 9 out of 10 times its because your going fast. So, you will be ahead of the curve when outdoor season comes around, good for you

    - Swimming, I 100% agree with you 10x100's is alot easier then 1000 meters straight. At least one swim a week should be an endurance swim

    - Spinervals, if done as Coach Troy barks them out, are a killer workout and no joke, again this will pay dividends in the season

    Which ones do you have? I have No Mercy, Total Time Trial and some hill one I cant remember

    - I cant compete with real bikers in a time trial, but I still train with bikers that will kick my butt everyday, I am the slowest rider on Team Roll, easily, but with their help, they are allowing me to one day kick butt on the course

    - I thought my 1/12 mile track was bad, I feel sorry for you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Lean and Mean. It's hard, but not that bad. I actually want something a little different, but I'm going to borrow my friends and see what his do for me.

    LOL! Yup I have you beat for track!!

    ReplyDelete