Search This Blog

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Seriously?! Seriously?!

So I guess we're going to up the game....

My husband has done only sprint distance triathlons (as have I).  Well I was hanging around the gym chit chatting (which I'm exceptionally good at, btw) and a friend of ours asked if I would be interested in doing a half iron distance...IN MAY!!!  What??!!!!  Okay, well, that was my reaction, my husband's reaction was, "heck yeah!".  So he's in I guess.  They're doing White Lake in NC in May.  I'm pretty sure that neither one of us knows how to get him ready, but someone is going to get a lot of money in bike components from the Evans! 

I'm just hoping to get through my first Olympic distance by the end of the season!  I'm also hoping to finally get through my first half marathon too. 

Well the USAT Triathlon magazine informed me that my two day a week swims "aren't cutting it". My question is how on earth do I fit these 3 sports into one already jam packed week?  I'm waiting to find this secret.  If I were a better athlete I'd consider hiring a program coach, but they're too expensive and I'm too old.

Here is what I'm hoping to get through this week:

3-4 swims with drills (that I'm hoping to find on the internet)
1 outdoor bike ride
1 spin class
1 upper body and 1 lower body weight training work out.

Now, if I throw in some rest days, ugh, I'm looking at a hard core week. 

3 comments:

  1. I read that article last night, the people who write these articles are people whos job is to swim bike run all the time, they dont have jobs like we do, they are pros, its not fair to us everyday people who have work 40 hours, not including family, chores, etc.

    I have always said survive the swim, my swim training is no more then 10% of my race distance, no point in going double or triple the distance of my race.

    As for the HIM, if you feel ready, sign up for it, if you want to do any oly next year, just do that. To much is put on doing long course races, there is no rush, the races will always be there, go on your time table

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I totally wish I'd talked to you before I planned my week! Nah, I'm still out of the run, so I'll focus on the swim...for now. I'm actually amazingly embarrassed at my time anyway, so maybe I could shave a few minutes off by actually practicing with drills. I said MAYBE, ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really depends on where you are at with your current training and if you are an endurance athlete. Go on your schedule not someone elses.

    Kevin
    http://halftriing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete